Do I need a partner?

For the larger part of our lessons – no! At all beginner classes you will get rotated in order to try out dancing with different people. A partner is needed if and when you decide to compete in national competitions as part of our Teams; there is however definitely no need to bring a partner with you to try out the classes – bring a friend along instead for some extra fun!

In the Beginners Team, the coaches will advise and help pair up those who want to compete.

If you are an experienced dancer looking for a partner, the best place to come is the Main Team Trials on the 7th of October 2017, 12pm, at the JCR. If you’ve missed this, just come to one of the Technique classes – you will find other people of similar level to yours at these classes. However, to be part of the Main Team and attend the additional Main Team practice, you will need to have a partner.

How much does it cost?

Non-competitive Ballroom and Latin, Salsa and Bachata classes have the same price of £4 per hour of class for members, £6 for non-members. As Tango is a 90 minute class, the price is £5 for members and £10 for non-members. A discounted whole term package will also be available for members to buy.

Further discounts are available for those who want to commit to dance: if you are a member, you can get a bulk buy card of 10 lessons for £35, which can be used for the weekly non-competitive Ballroom and Latin, Salsa and Bachata hour-long classes! You must buy this online on the union website.

Those who wish to join the Teams or Performance Groups are required to purchase a Team pass for the whole term. The prices are set at the beginning of each term: check the union website or ask the Team Captain for more information. This includes the Ballroom and Latin Main Team practices and the relevant Saturday technique workshops for the whole term. A separate Team pass is issued for Salsa Team, which functions exactly the same as the Main Team pass.

How do I get membership? (IC students)

Imperial College students and Union members can become members of IC Dance Club by purchasing membership online here. Once you’ve done that, bring a copy of your confirmation email to any class (on smartphone or otherwise), and we will give you a membership card which, will allow you to purchase bulk-buy cards which have 10 classes for £35! The membership is valid for the entire academic year and expires at the beginning of the next one in August; remember to keep your card with you.

What if I am not a current IC student?

Other Further or Higher Education students, as well as Imperial ex-students and staff can also join and will need the following: Imperial College Union Membership AND IC Dance Club Membership. Instructions how to buy Imperial College Union Membership can be found here. Once you’ve bought Union Membership, you will need to buy Club Membership, which can be done online here. Note that without membership you will only be able to attend scheduled lessons and won’t be able to use our practice space.

What’s that buzz about free lessons?

To give you a chance to explore what’s on offer, we run free taster sessions in October. The fastest way to hear about any deals we have is to subscribe to our mailing list or join our facebook groups – you can find links to them in the Contact section.